Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Refridgerator pickles

Today is the day! We're about to open the jar of pickles in the fridge! They've been in there for a week. I was hoping that we would get an idea for how they would taste.


Turns out they weren't hot at all. When I sliced the jalapenos they were so hot that I left the seeds out when I put them in the jar.  Next time I'll leave the seeds in, that should bump it up a notch.


Smells good

They were also not very crispy.  Some were, some weren't.  Next round I want to do a better ice bath.  I'll buy a bag of ice and do it for 4 hours instead of only 2.  I still haven't been able to find fresh grape leaves.  The search continues.

I think I will also wait to cut the cucumbers till after the 10 hour brine bath.  I'll cut them right before I put them in the jar.  I think that might assist the crispness. 


Pickles and Open-Face Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches for lunch
Over all the flavor I got from these pickles was vinegar.  I tasted a little dill but not enough.  I want more flavor in my pickles so next time I'll try adding more garlic and spices.  I want to avoid using the packets of dill pickle flavoring, but I may use it as a reference for more spices I can add to make the pickles more flavorful.  I'm also going to use Pickling Dill instead of Baby Dill.  I think that will make a big difference. 

Tomorrow is the farmer's market, so we'll go and try again with a small batch.  I still have a jar in the closet that we will open the day before my birthday.  Hopefully those will have some more flavor than the ones that were only marinated for a week. 

Overall however...I made Pickles!!!!!  So that is a success.  Now I just have to find the right mix of spices to make these pickles MY pickles.

Wish me luck!  Round 2 begins tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hat! You may want to try a Middle Eastern market or even Bay Cities Deli for the grape leaves. An Armenian market would have them, because we use them for dolma. You could call in advance and see if you can purchase some of their supply, perhaps? They also have jarred versions at Albertsons or Vons that I have seen, but it sounded to me like you are looking for fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call! I called a Greek market and they only had the ones brined in the jar that they used for dolmas. I'm thinking of contacting a winery to see if I can get some. The only other option is to grow my own grapes for the leaves, but then I'll just have to start making wine!

    ReplyDelete