Friday, August 20, 2010

Round two begins!

First off I want to thank all my new followers!!!!!! Thanks for checking me out all you crazy Cats and Kittens!!!

I'm starting my second round of pickles today. We hit the farmer's market on La Cienega and 18th. It starts at 2pm so when we arrived shortly after 2 all of the booths were not set up yet, but we did get first pick from the guys who were open. Today we got 6 lbs of Pickling Cucumbers, some more dill, jalapenos some string beans and green onions.
My jars post sterilization

I'm gonna make 6 jars and try something different in each one. Hot ones, garlic ones, some control ones, ALL KINDS!!!!!

Right now I've got all the cucumbers in the ice bath. I bought a bag of ice this time and I'm letting them soak for 4 hours. I'm also sterilizing all the jars now.

6 lbs of cucumbers chillin'
Then it's into the 12 hour brine and in the afternoon tomorrow I'll cook up the vinegar boil and I'm going to add a bag of pickling spices to that. Coriander, mustard seed, cloves, black peppercorns, bay leaves, tarragon and dill. I'll put all of that in a cheesecloth bag to flavor the vinegar.
I got these spices on the cheap at the Elat Market on Pico
Letting the spices meld overnight in an air-tight jar

Added bonus...when we were at Target the other day they had canning sets on clearance so I got a new pot and all the tools to make the job easier for $20!!!

Alright, gonna go cut off the blossom ends and get these guys to bed in their salt bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment